February 29, 2012

Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe.




I tried this recipe a few days ago and showed a few pictures through instagram and Facebook.  Heres what You will need:

Recipe.


1 3/4 cup of the all purpose gluten free baking flour.
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of applesauce (you can use canola oil if you prefer)
2/3 cup of brown sugar ( do not substitute with white sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of xanthan gum ( a natural thickener used in a lot of gluten- free recipes)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of mashed very ripe bananas
You can also add a 1/2 cup of chopped nuts of you would like, I did not because I wanted Isaac to be able to eat them with our choking on a walnut.

Instructions.
Preheat your oven to 350
lightly butter a 9x5 loaf pan
(or use a 8x8 bar pan like I did)
cream together the eggs, vanilla extract, apple sauce and sugar
In a separate bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients excluding the bananas
combine the wet and dry and in small portions add the mashed banana
Do not over mix or you will end up with a really dense banana bread, yuck!
bake for 1hour in loaf pan and 50 min with a bar pan.

How can you get the gluten-free baking flour mix?
 At your grocery store there is usually a bulk bin section and in this section they usually will have a gluten free all purpose flour blend. It will contain either brown rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, Gf flour or probably a mixture of a few. I used this and used a recipe I found at the Co op I shop at regularly. If not they may have it pre packaged in your natural section at a regular market.

Here are a few photos from that same morning of my kitchen, I try and aways keep up on cleaning it because I'm in it so often. I really do enjoy cooking and baking though, a lot of experimental recipes go down in this room. Some good, some bad Thats all a part of the fun though right.?
My favorite thing to do in the morning is wake up turn on some great up beat music, push open all of the curtains enjoy whatever the weather may be and make breakfast for Isaac and I, such a mood boosting way to start the day. Whats your favorite way to start the day?




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE all of your mugs sitting up there on their shelves! They are perfection.
    Amy xo

    ReplyDelete